Thursday, August 28, 2008

If I wasn't a relgion major

I was asked twice today what I study at school, and as expected, received the same quizzical look from both the oral surgeon and the cashier at the grocery store.

I'm a religion major. I will probably end up at seminary. I will probably work in, around, and for churches for the rest of my life. I will probably not live long enough to retire.

Of course, no one can guess how things will really turn out, but I feel like I've painted the above picture in broad enough strokes. Still, I've known I've wanted this since the tenth grade or so, and sometimes I envy people who aren't as tied down, people who could do just about anything. I've been jaded, I guess you'd say, by church politics and poor theology already, and know that I have to work hard for the next six years preparing myself for an eventual burnout.

But if I wasn't a religion major, I would open a bed and breakfast. The whole house would be filled with little treasures because I, of course, would have fabulous artist friends who would also come visit a few weekends a year. It would have old, dark wooden floors with rag rugs all over. I would cook breakfast, lunch and dinner (that would always be paired with good music and good wine), and an evening snack to go with tea. I would spend the in-between time hanging sheets on the line and folding towels. In the summer, I'd make jam. In the winter, I'd knit blankets and sweaters. There would be a dog and good neighbors. I'd read copious amounts of books and when I went on vacation, it would be always be for the food. I'd correspond with envelopes and stamps and keep an immaculate vegetable garden. On Sunday mornings I wouldn't go to church, just sit and read St. Teresa of Avila, Rumi, Hafiz and Asissi while drinking tea. Every Friday during the summer we'd split open a watermelon and mix mojitos. I'd make a living taking care of people just a bit at a time, knowing what clean sheets, home-cooked meals, and quiet can do for people.

That's what I think you'd call a "pipe dream". There are more--ones about farms and being a postal worker (i.e. having a simpler lifestyle) mostly.

I move in on Saturday. I just have clothes to pack tomorrow, which I think is pretty damn good. The baking has also begun again. Tonight was brownies. Tomorrow holds endless possibilities. Saturday is more than likely these little marvels.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

keep hold of that dream, cody. I know I'd definitely stay at your B&B.

Alexandra: said...

dude. if you have a bed and breakfast I will open a yarn store a short distance away, with a lemon tree in the backyard.